Thursday 4 September 2014

First Real Life Brief

Recently a couple of self employed graphic designers have moved in next door. We go talking and they soon gave me one of the briefs they had just got for a logo design for a web design company just starting out. This is war I received.

Hi Beth,

Hope you got your photography sorted

As you know the brief is, there is no brief - so just have a play

His web address is www.aimhighsbs.com

Plus Logo colours he likes


Hand rendered type is something tat I am very passionate about at the moment and so I wanted to use this brief to learn to do brush pen calligraphy. I felt this would really match the directional connotations that the name 'Aim High' Had and The logo needed to have more hand made connotations than it currently had. I new though that I needed to talk him out of 'small business solutions' because that doesn't communicate that the company is mainly involved in web design. I started out by just experimenting with the shapes the words would make.

 Then honing my use of the bush pen which took some time.

I looked at combining digital and hand drawn type but it interrupted the flow of the words.






Once I had improved my skills considerably I looked at the ornamentation properly.


Then began to strip it back to basics.

 Below is the sketch that I sent to the client. The idea was that the arrow was a kind of hand glider, suggesting flight in an upward direction.

I sent a color option sheet once i had gotten the go aead for the general logo.

I then spent some time beefing up the type so that it worked well bot as a small and large version.

No comments:

Post a Comment