Monday 12 October 2015

OUGD602 PPP 3 Visiting Professional and Brief Dr. Me

Dr. Me had a long talk about the way they got to where they are today.

The major take away was how they addressed self promotion and how that got them jobs when they were just starting out.


The brief they set for the day and further if we chose to take it further was to create a piece of design of our choice that cmmunicated us as designers. Then after today to take it and turn it into a mailer for studios and other oprtunities, to draw attention to us and our work.

I started by looking at the kind of places i wanted to appeal to and my practice. The two main cross overs were a hands on approach and a social design process.

This got me thinking about the people in the studio around me and how the people in your environment shape your design.
I already collect quotes and things that people say that make me laugh or I simply want to remember. I want to take some of these to make visuals that studios and designers might want to put up in their studio simply becasue they make them laugh.

One of my favourite quotes I have collected so far is from Dec "oh my god chrome, stop being such a bitch!"

I wanted to make more than just a poster, I got thinking about my brand Elittlebeth design and how I could make something small like maybe a designed little book of post its with these quotes on.

To play on the comedy of the quote I wanted to creat a contrast between the content and the aesthetic. The first words lead me to the idea of using blackletter calligraphy (like in religious texts) becuase that combined with the "oh my god" at the beginning make the end of the quote all the more funny. I started with a flat brush and ink to play with the scale and see how the layout and lettering would develop.
After a lot of struggling with drawing up a grid each time for the lettering, I made up a digital grid and printed out multiple sheets to work on rather than waisting good paper.

I looked at working at a smaller scale to see how it could actualy work on a post it.


I really like this design and this is what I had produced by the end of the day. However, because of two other extended practice briefs that I am focusing on this week along with my COP 3 I am not sending in a finished design to DR.Me on Friday. I will pick up this brief later on in the year though becuase I can see it is a valuable thing for me to do and could even work to get me some work experience. I will maybe look to do it in a week or two.

I HAVE PICKED UP THIS BRIEF ON MY DESIGN PRACTICE BLOG






No comments:

Post a Comment